A GUIDE TO THE CHAPEL RUINS

Photo credit and copyright: Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Vyne Community College

The school expanded and on 29th May 1855 the foundation stone for the ‘new’ Queen Free School was laid in Worting Road. The School came back to South View in 1940 when the Queen Mary’s Grammar School opened in Vyne Road and is now the Vyne Community School. Within the grounds of the remains of the base of the tower is a much damaged, headless, early 17th century effigy which may have been moved there at some time. The effigy appears to show a civilian man dressed in a gown with long sleeves. It is surely no coincidence that this was the official dress of an Alderman of the Guild of the Holy Ghost.

Alderman feet

Alderman

Vintage chapel and school

Picture copyright and credit: Hampshire County Council

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

The Holy Ghost Cemetery, Chapel Hill, Basingstoke. © 2020 South View Conservation Group Website by : ArThomsenDesign