A GUIDE TO THE CHAPEL RUINS

Between each pair of openings on the outside wall was a canopied niche, which, like those on the tower, held religious effigies.

The effigies rested on octagonal pedestals with panelled faces and moulded bases. The pedestals of the niches were richly carved with foliage between shields.

The canopies were richly carved with finials, pinnacles and crockets (an ornamental addition, usually of curling leaves) of late Gothic design.

There are five still in existence in various degrees of ruin.

Walking around the east end of the chapel walls it can be seen that all the windows were apparently all the same size and each had deeply-moulded inside and outside jambs, and three cinque-foiled lights under four-centred heads which can be seen on the south wall.

Returning into the ruins round the end of the wall, the memorial to Robert Cottle (moved here during the 1960’s) stands over, or near, the resting place of Lord Sir William Sandys, the father of the builder of the chapel.

Robert Cottle (1788-1859) was a stationer, printer, book binder and postmaster in Winchester Street. He was Mayor 5 times, a prominent member of the Mechanics’ Institute and Honorary secretary to the Art Union of London.

Cottle block

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

The Holy Ghost Cemetery, Chapel Hill, Basingstoke. © 2020 South View Conservation Group Website by : ArThomsenDesign