A GUIDE TO THE CHAPEL RUINS

These are two surviving slabs from the 17th century tombs originally earmarked for William Sandys or his parents. These slabs were made of Black Antoing stone which is a kind of slate known as Antoing marble from the quarries just north of Antoing and were brought from Antwerp in 1536.

These slabs were placed in their current position around the end of the 19th Century. Following recent vandalism, one of these slabs has now been repaired.

Sandy’s slab tomb

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

The Holy Ghost Cemetery, Chapel Hill, Basingstoke. © 2020 South View Conservation Group Website by : ArThomsenDesign