A GUIDE TO THE CHAPEL RUINS

THE CHAPEL OF THE HOLY GHOST

The plan shows that the Chapel consisted of a central rectangular nave with a square tower and chancel on either side. The thick brick and flint western wall of the tower is the only part of the chapel which has survived. The red brick diagonal buttresses were added later. Today, the outlines of the position of the walls of the tower, nave and chancel have been marked out by tomb slabs. These were taken up from the Liten site between the chapel ruins and the railway which was cleared of monuments in the 1960s. chapel floor planWe don’t know the size of the original Chapel but it was clearly an important building and in 1309 a large ordination ceremony was held. The numbers then ordained were 45 first tonsures, 30 acolytes, 24 subdeacons, 20 deacons and 22 priests.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

The Holy Ghost Cemetery, Chapel Hill, Basingstoke. © 2020 South View Conservation Group Website by : ArThomsenDesign