A GUIDE TO THE CHAPEL RUINS

In 1554 the townsfolk petitioned Philip and Mary [1553-1558] for a revival of the Guild and a new charter of incorporation was granted, wherein, in reviving the fraternity, it was stated that a priest should be appointed for the celebration of divine service in the chapel and for the instruction and education of young men and boys within the town. The Holy Ghost school building itself was a half-timbered structure constructing of one large room built around the foundation of the western tower of the ancient chapel – the part of the tower which can still be seen today. In 1831 there were 12 boys at this Grammar School, of whom those belonging to the town paid 15 shillings and those in the neighbourhood, one pound, one shilling, per quarter. The poet laureate Thomas Warton and his brother received the early part of their education at this school under their father, Thomas Warton, B.D, previously Professor of Poetry in the University of Oxford and master of the school.

Queen Mary’s School and the Chapel of the Holy Trinity c. 1750

Photo credit and copyright: Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Hampshire Museums and Galleries Trust

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

The Holy Ghost Cemetery, Chapel Hill, Basingstoke. © 2020 South View Conservation Group Website by : ArThomsenDesign