A GUIDE TO THE CHAPEL RUINS

Fortunately for us, the inscription on the tablet was recorded in a brass plaque which is now in the corridor of the Vyne Community School. The full subscription reads:

The following INSCRIPTION AND NAMES OF SOME OF THE
MASTERS APPEARED ON THE WALLS
OF THE OLD SCHOOL
AN. DO. 1670. GEORGIO
EDWARDO OPPIDI PROEFECTO.
REVERENDISS. D.D. GEORG. MORLOCUS WINTON,
EP. LIBERALIUM ARTIUM EGREG. FAUTOR, HÂC
SCHOLÂ CLUSÂ PER MULTOS ANNOS, TANDEM APERTA,
ALIENATISQUE DIN REDDIITIBUS, PIÈ RESTITUTUS, SIBI
AETERNAM MERITUS EST DE POSTERITATE LAUDEM.
EDWARD WEBB, M.A. 1639.
CHARLES BUTLER, Vicar of St. Lawrence Wooton
Author of Feminine Monarchy, or the History of Bees, and a Treatise
On Music: he died in 1648.
…POECOCK.
JOHN JAMES. M.A. Vicar of Basingstoke.
Dr. ALEX. LYTTON, Rector of Eastrop,
And afterwards, in 1732, Vicar of Monk Sherborne: he practised Physic.
ARTHUR HELE,
author of the Four Gospels Harmonized, 1750.
SAMUEL LOGGON, M.A. Rector of Turgis,
Which he exchanged for Damerham, in Wiltshire, he was buried in the
Church yard at Turgis.
JOHN EVANS, B.D. Rector of Beckenham, Somerset,
died in 1792, and was buried in Holy Ghost Chapel.
ISAAC WILLIAMSON, Rector of Eastrop,
died in 1816 and was buried in Eastrop Church.
WILLIAM WORKMAN, M.A. Rector of Eastrop,
died in 1849, and was buried in Eastrop Church.

During the English Civil War, both the Chapel of the Holy Ghost and the Chapel of the Holy Trinity were badly damaged by Cromwell and his men who, local legend has it, were reported to have taken the lead from the Chapel roof to make musket balls for the siege of Old Basing House.

Around the same time there was a fire in the town and the school building was used as a ‘pestilence house’ where the sick were isolated during an outbreak of the plague. The Guild came to an end and the Chapels became derelict. Not helped by the activities of the boys in the school, including one Gilbert White, who admitted to helping blow up part of the Holy Ghost Chapel. Gilbert White later became famous for his account of ‘The Natural History and Antiquities of Selborne ‘(1789).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

The Holy Ghost Cemetery, Chapel Hill, Basingstoke. © 2020 South View Conservation Group Website by : ArThomsenDesign